Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Next Project

Since we purchased our home last July I've been trying to figure out what to do with this set of doors:



as you can see, they are right off of our little dining room and lead to our sun porch aka Jack Bauer's favorite room: (please excuse the very outdated picture!)

At first the plan was to leave the doors uncovered. Well my dear husband has a hatred for uncovered windows, so that was vetoed. I want to do something that would be decorative and functional (and inexpensive!)- and I've settled on this:

photo courtesy of the super talented Layla at http://theletteredcottage.blogspot.com

burlap curtains! cheap? check! functional? check! decorative? well... to me, yes. so check! :-)
I think they'll add some texture and will look great in the space and since I now have a sewing machine and have mastered at least some basic skills these should be do-able. I love that they will still allow some natural light in, I wanted to avoid heavy black-out drapes because I hate feeling like I live in a cave. I also plan on adding the bamboo shades underneath... I'm still hunting for the best price on these.

So that's my next project, I'll be sure to follow up with pictures!

5 comments:

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Love that idea! And I got our bamboo roman shade just like that at Kmart...really affordable. (are you allowed to shop at Kmart? :giggle)

Lauryl Lane said...

Oooh, I like! Can't wait to see your progress.

brooke knight said...

that sounds awesome!

Allison aka Half of VAMH said...

Great idea! Bed sheets would work too!

Angela said...

burlap bed sheets??? lol, kidding.