The countdown is on for Thanksgiving and I'm so excited! Mike and I alternate holidays with our families and this year is a Bull (aka my family) year. We'll spend Christmas with Mike's family (ummm on a freaking fabulous Caribbean cruise, but that's for another post!!). Normally for Thanksgiving I make a huge turkey, and all the typical dishes.. but since this is our first Thanksgiving as vegans, the menu is being modified a bit!
My parents are bringing a few seafood dishes, since they're still meat eaters and it will travel better than a bird. I'll be making some side dishes, and most importantly desserts! I have cheated a bit and ordered a vegan organic carrot cake from our favorite local co-op store, but I'll actually be making the other desserts. I thought I'd share the recipes:
The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ever
SERVES 8
INGREDIENTS
1 can (16 ounces) pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice, optional
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch to firm up the pie filling
1 package (10-12 ounces) silken/soft tofu
1 9-in unbaked vegan pie shell
STEPS
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Blend the pumpkin and sugar.
Add salt, spices, cornstarch and tofu, mix thoroughly.
Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 F and bake for another 60 minutes.
Chill and serve.
NOTE: Don't use the low fat tofu, then the pie tastes like it was made with tofu.
We'll be topping it with some non-dairy whipped cream. YUM!
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Cranberries
Candied Cranberries
INGREDIENTS
2 Cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
2 Cups sugar substitute (either maple syrup or agave nectar, whichever you prefer)
STEPS
Prick each cranberry several times with straight pin.
Bring sugar substitute and water to boil over medium heat.
Cook until sugar reaches 230 F on candy thermometer.
Add cranberries, and cook ten minutes or until syrup gels a bit.
Remove berries with slotted spoon and lay out on plate.
Save in refrigerator for adding to top of cheesecake later.
Crust
INGREDIENTS
Pre-made organic vegan graham-cracker crust (for ease)
or, if you prefer to make your own
10 sheets vegan graham crackers
1/4 tsp salt
2 oz Earth Balance butter
STEPS (if you aren't using premade)
Process crackers and salt into fine crumbs in food processor.
Add Earth Balance and pulse to combine.
Press mixture into bottom and half way up sides of 9 inch spring form pan.
Cheesecake Filling
INGREDIENTS
12 oz. silken tofu
8 oz. vegan cream cheese
3/4 can Whole Foods Organic Pumpkin Pie Filling
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
STEPS
Puree all ingredients in food processor until very smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
Pour into crust and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes.
Chill completely in refrigerator at least 3 hours, up to overnight.
Garnish with candied cranberries, slice and serve.
I can't wait to make both of these! A big thanks to The Kind Life for being such an amazing online community and resource for vegans- both recipes and pictures from the site.


3 comments:
Enjoy your first vegan Thanksgiving! I love this holiday- I do up the whole feast mostly from scratch ... you know because we vegans usually have to lol.
Oooh, enjoy! Those sound yummy! I would love to try that cheesecake.
Those look so delicious!
Post a Comment